Concrete polishing is a process of preparing and restoring concrete similar to resanding hardwood floors and is used in new construction as well as remodeling projects to renew and upgrade flooring. The concrete polishing process starts with a polishing machine that uses progressively finer grits of diamond embedded discs to sand down the surface of the concrete until a desired level of shine is achieved. The benefits of having polished concrete floors range from aesthetic to practical, but here are the top reasons to consider concrete polishing for your next new build or remodel project.
- Variety of Styles– No matter your design aesthetic or what you are looking to accomplish, concrete polishing can deliver. Concrete polishing finishes with a mirror-like shine, but by laying a foundation with laser cuts or using a wide array of colors in an interesting pattern or even embedding a different object under the surface all together, the sky is the limit for style. You can also control the level of shine on the floor by varying the grit of the diamond sander that you use to create the final look.
- Virtually maintenance free– Polished concrete is a popular choice for commercial properties because of this design feature. Polished concrete leaves a surface that basically needs to be swept or dusted as needed and wet mopped on rare occasions. These floors basically take care of themselves and they do so while also looking like a designer floor. Also, unlike unfinished or untreated concrete, polished concrete will not create dust therefore leaving you with less to clean in the first place.
- Durability– Polished concrete flooring will last you much longer that other popular flooring choices. These floors area essentially impervious to cracks and damage and will not break down or need to be refinished like other popular flooring. Even with heavy foot traffic or the use of heavy equipment polished concrete floors are resistant to scratches and stains. You will love the fact that you will be enjoying these floors for many, many years to come.
- Safety- Because of their high gloss shine and mirror like finish, these floors increase visibility therefore decreasing the chances of slips and falls. The finish that is applied to the concrete also makes your flooring less slippery when wet. Although it is never a good idea to leave a spill unattended, at least you know that when there is an accident or spill your family, guests or customers will be less likely to injure themselves because of your polished concrete flooring.
- Affordability- Last but not least, these floors are one of the most economical choices that you can make for your design project. Not only is polished concrete flooring cost-effective to install but because of its sustainability, you will not have to replace or repair your floors as often so you will save even more in the long run.
Polished concrete flooring is growing in popularity as a finished flooring option in homes and commercial properties alike. With benefits that reach far beyond their beauty, it is not wonder that these floors can be found more easily now than ever.